Subversion integration with VS IDE is one of the necessary things as far as Integrated development is concern. A lot of develop still do folder based file system Update, Merge and Commit while working with code based which has a source control in Subversion.
Nowadays, since the we all want the luxury of having everything accessible through visual studio ide, why not also svn. There are two important tool that come to my mind right way for svn integration.
No doubt that Visual SVN is a wonderful tool that have full integrated feature with visual studio, but main problem with it is that its not free and a commercial tool. If we use express edition of visual studio and want svn integration we might not want to pay for it.
There AnkhSVN wins, its totally free, for distribution and use. The tool is can be download from http://ankhsvn.open.collab.net/. Ankh SVN is fully integrated and free tool for svn support in visual studio.
Features are given bellow and taken from the AnkhSVN Site.
Pending Changes window
- One window to handle the normal workflow.
- Real-time overview of all project changes.
- Easy access to most Subversion commands.
- Easy-to-use wizard simplifies merging.
- Wizard is merge-tracking aware.
- Intuitive integrated conflict resolution
- Supports all merge scenarios supported by Subversion 1.5/1.6
- Works with Subversion 1.5+ servers, and pre-1.5 servers.
- Don't leave your IDE for most common operations.
- Immediately view the source control status of all files in your project/solution.
- View working copy information such as last committed author, last committed date and the repository URL.
- Import new solutions automatically.
- Get support for all Subversion transfer protocols.
- Plug in your diff/merge tool of choice
- Smart command line templates for the most common merge tools.
- Easily browse any Subversion repository.
- View extended information about remote files and directories in the Visual Studio Properties window.
- AnkhSVN 2.1 is licensed under the open source Apache 2.0 license.
After installation we can use and when we add the our solution to source control the solution explorer is pretty much looks like the following screen shot.
Bellow the pending checking window for AnkhSVN is given.
Hope you will like this tool and use open source solution. Until next time cya.